RJL Hawke Fellow (Australian Antarctic Division) July’17 – Present
CoE Postdoctoral Research Fellow March‘17 –June’17
ARC (DECRA) & ANU Research Fellow Jan ‘14 – Feb ‘17
Postdoctoral Research Fellow April ‘12 – Dec’ 13
- RJL Hawke Fellowship, Australian Antarctic Division 2017
- Discovery Early Research Career Award (DECRA) 2013
- Andreas Acrivos Dissertation Award in Fluid Dynamics (American Physical Society) 2013
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, MAE, UCSD 2010-2011
- Graduate research Fellowship from University of California 2007
Competitive Research Grants
- Project ID: AAS 4422 (Australian Antarctic Division 2017) A new approach to ice melting rates: direct numerical simulation. Amount funded: $192,000.00.
- Project ID: LE150100089 (ARC LIEF 2015) CI: Pitman, A (Gayen, B is a Co-CI among a team) Connecting big data with high performance computing for climate system science. Amount funded: $490,000.00.
- Project ID: AAS 4287 (Australian Antarctic Division 2015) PI: Galton-Fenzi, B (Gayen, B is a Co-CI among a team) Ocean forced evolution of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. Amount funded: $ 213,000.00.
- Project ID: DE140100089 (ARC DE 2014) CI: Gayen, B. A new understanding of Antarctic ice melting. Amount funded: $371,151.0 (2014-2016).
- Project ID: DP140103706 (ARC DP 2014) CI: Griffiths, R. W. & Gayen, B. Interacting processes for Southern Ocean circulation. Amount funded: $405,000.0 (2014-2016).
- Project ID: ANU Early Career Research travel grant (2013) CI: Gayen, B. Amount funded: $2100.00.
See list of publications in scholar google
Publication with my student is star marked.
23.* M. Rosevear, B. Gayen, R. W. Griffiths (2017) Turbulent horizontal convection under spatially periodic forcing: a regime governed by interior inertia. J. Fluid Mech., 831, 491-523
22.* C. Vreugdenhil, R. W. Griffiths and B. Gayen (2017)
Geostrophic and chimney regime in the rotationg horizontal convection with imposed heat flux
J. Geophys Res. Oceans 823, 57-99
21.* C. Vreugdenhil, B. Gayen and R. W. Griffiths (2016)
Mixing and dissipation in a geostrophic buoyancy-driven circulation
J. Geophys Res. Oceans 121 (8), 6076-6091
20. B. Gayen, R. W. Griffiths and R. C. Kerr (2016)
Simulation of convection at a vertical ice face dissolving into saline water
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 798, 284-.298
19. R. W. Griffiths and B Gayen (2015)
Turbulent convection insights from small-Scale thermal forcing with zero net heat flux at a horizontal boundary. Physical Review LettersPhys. Rev. Lett. 115, 204301
18.I. Rossa, A. McC. Hogg, A. E. Kiss and B. Gayen (2015)
Topographc influence on sub-mesoscale dynamics in the Southern Ocean, Geophysical Research Lett. doi: 10.1002/2014GL062720
14.B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2013)
Degradation of an internal wave beam by parametric subharmonic instability in an upper ocean pycnocline
J. Geophys Res. Oceans, 118, 4689–4698, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20321 pdf
13. G. O. Hughes,B. Gayenand R. W. Griffiths(2013)
Available Potential Energy in Rayleigh-Benard Convection, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 729, R2, 1-10
10. V. Chalamalla, B. Gayen, A. Scotti & S. Sarkar (2013)
Near critical reflection of internal gravity waves on a sloping boundaryJournal of Fluid Mechanics 729, 47-68
9.N. R. Rapaka, B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2013)
Direct and large eddy simulations of conversion to internal tides at a model ridge
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 715 pp 181 - 209